My BT named Keith developed cataracts a couple years ago when he was 7. They came on fast, and while I knew he was mostly blind, I couldn’t leave his eyes as is since glaucoma would likely result with pain etc.
I took a chance on saving at least one, and had both lenses replaced. He did so well, and has had vision for 2 years. My how things can change though…….a few months ago he was playing with my other BT and scratched his cornea. It wouldn’t heal regardless of drops and serum and ended up after 3 weeks needing a pedicel graft to prevent rupture. I needed to try, and it went well with good healing. However, his pressures started to creep up and he had an acute glaucoma attack that drugs successfully brought under control. The inflammation from the ulcer messed up his drainage and so things weren’t working so well in his eye.
Now he’s medded up and I’m making ANOTHER decision. He’s still visual so I can’t bring myself to remove the eye yet. I’m going to try non invasive laser to reduce fluid production. If that doesn’t work, I guess he will need to part with that eye.
Being in this position of deciding is making me lose my mind! If he was blind or in pain, easy decision, removal. But it’s not there yet and there can be complications with putting the laser off and also with laser itself. Argh!!!!!!!