New to forum, fresh PRA diagnosis and a mess

Welcome To Blind Dog Support Forums Introduce Yourself New to forum, fresh PRA diagnosis and a mess

Tagged: ,

This topic contains 2 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  Adrienne 3 months, 1 week ago.

• Author

Adrienne

Hello everyone. My name is Adrienne and my 6 year old Shih Tzu mix rescue, Mugsie, was just diagnosed with PRA today. Over the past week I have noticed a severe change in his demeanor and 3 days ago I noticed that he would not see food falling on the floor or even follow it in my hand when I moved it side to side in front of his face. This wasn’t always the case though because at times he would follow my hand from side to side. Then later in the day he started walking into things. Today he was diagnosed with PRA after having an ERG. I can’t stop crying because my little ball of fire’s light seems to have gone out. He always seemed to be depressed after I would leave for work and when I was away my parents also told me they thought he was depressed. But when I came home he was always so happy to see me. I think he is still happy to see me when I return, but he just doesn’t seem the same at all. I feel so helpless and I don’t know what to do or how to deal with this. Sometimes he just stands in one place and stares into space. It’s so heartbreaking. I’m trying so hard not to show my emotions in front of him, but it’s so hard to keep my composure. He always followed me around everywhere I went and now he mostly just stands in one spot. The only time I really see emotion from him is when I ask if he’s hungry or wants to eat. Is this normal?? I’ve read that it takes some time for adjustment, but I really feel like I won’t ever see the old Mugsie I once knew.

Paula – ADMIN
    Keymaster

Everyone goes through this Adrienne. They come on to the site and tell us how sad they are, they can’t stop crying and everything looks terrible. Then we will get an update from them weeks lager and they are all smiles and happy again.

It’s only been a week so he is still finding his way. Just talk to him in an uplifting tone and stay confident. You will both get through this. I promise you.

Adrienne

Thanks for the reassurance Paula. I’ve been doing a lot of reading on PRA and blindness and it has helped. I’m hoping things return to somewhat normal in the coming weeks.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.