Help needed

This topic contains 2 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  Lisa 7 months, 2 weeks ago.

• Author

Lisa

Hi all…my husband and I were fostering then adopted a 5 year old boxer who came to us through a boxer rescue with glaucoma, and he had both of his eyes removed at the end of January. He was in a cone for 1 month with his recovery (he had also gotten neutered) and everything was great for 1 month. He ended up having to go back into his cone at the beginning of April as he started scratching his chin terribly and then it got infected. (No allergy testing done, but it started with pollen season here in Georgia) We have been on Temaril P for close to 3 weeks which he just finished, and because he is still scratching at his cone, he was put on Apoquel last week (16mg taking 1/2 pill twice a day for 2 weeks) along with Zeniquin (antiobiotc). Unfortunately after 4 days we don’t see much improvement with the scratching…but our bigger problem is he has become “cone aggressive” – we can no longer clean the inside of his cone to clear up any food/general schmutz that has accumulated. He is great outside of that, he will let you put your hands inside the cone and scratch his head, but the minute he hears anything to do with the cone, he will snap at your hands. We’re feeling a little overwhelmed and defeated with him…we have been boxer owners since the mid 90’s but have never had a blind dog, so we are searching for some help. He is on Sojos beef (you rehydrate the meat/veges overnight) and he gets salmon oil, coconut oil and a probiotic to help with his immune system – he has been through a lot in the 3 months we have had him. We gave him a medicated bath – the shampoo was a chlorhexidine 2% and we have the same wipes we use for under his chin. Any advice would be helpful – we will be back to the vet on May 12th when he finishes his two weeks of Apoquel…our concern is if the cone comes off he will go straight back to itching his chin and open it back up again.

Hi
    Have you thought of having 2 cones. So replace one with another to clean them. We rescued our little chihuahua mix on Feb 1 had his eyes were removed and he was neuter on February 3, its also been a crazy year for us. We have never had a bling dog let alone a chihuahua (he can be very stubborn and a little aggressive). We were also fostering but when we couldn’t find the right home so we decided he was already where he needed to be. He also tries to bite us when we clean his nose, something to do with approaching him and him not know what to expect. He too has a rash his is on on the top of his nose, vet thought allergies, we are in California and everything is blooming, we were also doing coconut oil which seemed to help but it just never got better. Finally in March he went to get his dental done and we decided to biopsy of the area (vet thought it might be an autoimmune illness called pemphigus-which about gave us a heart attack). Well a week after the biopsy we got the results, he has localized dimedex mange (only on his nose), best news ever. Maybe your vet can do a skin crape or biopsy to test the area. Our vet told us the glaucoma and being a rescue probably compromised his immune system which probably let to the mange (good think this mange is not contagious to other animals and people). PS we bought dogie insurance for our little guy and its been a god sent. Hope this helps.

Lisa

We do have two cones…but he tries to bite you when try to replace it, even when you put the second one on and try to take the other one off 🙁 I do talk to him when I’m approaching him with any kind of cloth to clean so that I don’t startle him, but as soon as anything touches that cone it’s like a light switch flips and he will snap. I will definitely get a skin scrape…he was underweight, had a double ear infection and had the glaucoma when he came into rescue, so like your dog, his immune system was already very low. I’m thinking we’re going to need insurance because he has already been quite expensive with his medications and vet office visits. Thank you Natalie for your input!

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.