Help, excessive barking!

Welcome To Blind Dog Support Forums General Discussion Help, excessive barking!

This topic contains 0 replies, has 1 voice, and was last updated by  Kalindi 3 weeks, 1 day ago.

• Author

Kalindi

Hi everyone! I have a 10 month old German Shepherd names Walter. He has been blind since birth and had to have his eyes removed at 4 months due to hemorrhaging from retinal detachment. He has recovered well from surgery and doesn’t appear to be in any pain. He has always had sensitive hearing and can pick up on sounds that my family and I can barely hear. In recent months he has become increasingly sensitive to ambient sounds and will bark aggressively at the slightest noise. Simple things like setting a glass down on a table, opening a door, or even just adjusting yourself on the couch will alarm him. This problem seems to be worse at night, shortly after it gets dark out. It seems to be getting worse over time, to the point where he is barking every few minutes. We try to soothe him, reassuring him that he is safe and doesn’t need to be scared. He is reluctant to relax, but will calm down after a minute or two. I’m concerned that this behavior is worsening and am not sure what I can do to help him. Has anyone here experienced this issue before? Any suggestions for how I can discourage this behavior? It’s getting difficult to enjoy a relaxing evening at home and we’re becoming frustrated. Any advice would be appreciated!

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.