Bichon gone blind

This topic contains 7 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  Jean 10 months, 2 weeks ago.

• Author

Jean

Hi. Our 3 yr old Bichon had an operation one week ago for a liver shunt & has been in and out of ICU since. It’s like we are on a rollercoaster since the op, even down to us being told he may need to be put asleep last Sunday. Thankfully he responded to the last option med wise, all good. Today we got a call from the clinic to say all his vitals are good but they “think” he is blind. They said what did we want to do???? I just need to ask someone who doesn’t know us that will not dress it up, can a wee dog manage with blindness or are we being selfish? My gut instinct is I’m not letting them put him asleep because he is blind, any thoughts I would be so grateful. x

Amanda

You are NOT being selfish at all! I have a yellow lab that has lost her vision at around 3 years old to… she is now almost 6 and is the happiest puppy I know. Yes they take a little more work but Bailey and I have built such a bond with her where nothing can take that away from me. She still plays ball(just needs something with noise), I’ve seen her take leaps and bounds since becoming blind and I think anyone who says I’m being selfish has not had a chance to meet my dog. I’m telling you do lots of research on blind dogs, what to do and what not to do and your dog will still be able to live the same life it could have. I have another lab that is about a year older than Bailey that helps her out tons when I’m not around! I haven’t trained my older dog at all she just does it and it’s pretty cool to see. I’m just trying to tell you my decision to keep Bailey was the best decision I’ve ever made! She has taught me so much and has the biggest heart. Bailey’s other senses kicked in more than I ever thought was possible. She uses her touch to find out where she’s at in the yard or the house by different textures, she uses her nose to sniff the ball down and Frisbee and brings it back to me. Just because there blind does not mean they’ve lost there way of life. If you need any pointers I’d be happy to talk to you about it but my opinion on this matter would definitely be to let her live the life she has. 🙂 Hope this helps

Plink

Jean, you ABSOLUTELY should not consider euthanizing your dog because she is blind. I have a 12 year old Pug who went suddenly blind when she was 8. It was a shock to go from having a playful pet one day to one that became depressed and inactive literally overnight. It takes some time to adjust to life with a blind pet, but you will find that your dog will adapt to being blind relatively easy. Yes, it is hard seeing them bump into walls, etc but eventually they will learn the layout of your home and yard and sense their way around very well. We even moved to a new home last year and I worried so much about the stress we were putting on her by this change in surroundings. It took some time, but eventually she has learned to get around the new place pretty well. She still runs into walls, furniture, but sadly that is going to happen with blind dogs.
    You should try to stick to your dog’s normal routine as much as possible when he gets home. If you normally go on walks, continue them, but be sure that you keep him on a short leash close to your side. I found that if I said “UP” when coming to a curb or step, my dog understood that she needed to be aware to step up. She also knows what “watch out” means when she is heading into a wall or fence, and will slow down or turn another direction when she hears this warning.
    My Sophie aged fast due to the blindness. She became an “old dog” before her time. She still loves to eat, go outside, get treats, etc., but mostly she just enjoys lounging in her cushy bed. In the evening, she makes her way to the sofa and I pick her up and lay her beside me. She still enjoys being close to the family while we are relaxing, watching TV, etc.
    I hope that I have encouraged you to bring her home after she recovers from her surgery.
    Pat

Jean

Hi Pat and Amanda, “Thank you so much”. You are so good. We have another wee dog of two and a half and they are the best of buddies and he lost without his big brother as are we all. So I think he will also be a help. Since we were told this morning I’ve been on google all day to see how we can help him and that. My thoughts “I/we can do that”. He has been in ICU so long he will need physio to build up his legs etc., so at the minute if we get him home, blind or not we will take that every time. Again T’u for taking the time to give me such comfort. Jx

Amanda

Sounds like he’s got a long road ahead of him but the fact that you have another dog just made me smile real big! We haven’t even trained our other dog to help her…. she just knows. It’s truly remarkable and Bailey has definitely taught me patience I will say that! Biggest thing I do with Bailey is trying not to baby her to much. She gets discouraged sometimes and I know she can do it so I push her, that’s how she has learned. And I probably still baby her more than I should but cant help it! Stick to the same routine that he had before everything happened, don’t move anything around in the house, keep it picked up as much as you can and let him get familiar with it. When it comes to stairs Bailey is not a fan so I handle that with a little extra care but she gets it. If you baby them to much they wont learn, they’ll just want you to do things for them. I’m sure your dog will be a little depressed when you get him home but just talk to him a lot and he will come around. 🙂 We even have a big swimming pool that she jumps into. Stay positive and patient and enjoy your pooch. It’ll be just fine! 🙂 I can remember when I first found out about Bailey I was terrified and had the same decision you did.

Jean

Hi Amanda – the rollercoaster goes on! Yesterday it was blindness, last night it was deaf and blindness, he wasn’t standing but his legs were fine etc., we just got a call this morning that our little munchkin is standing on his own, eating and drinking and now they feel there maybe some sight there as he reacted to the lights going on this morning, bit like his Mammy when lights go on in the morning -lol. Afraid to be happy as we have been knocked back down so often, but hopefully they are right when they said he has turned a major corner. Not much sleep had in this house for the past 9 days, but that doesn’t matter – I just have to say “Thank you” so much, why? Because at 4am this morning I woke in a panic wondering if I/we would be able to mind him if and when we got him home. So I opened and read what you and others have written and it settled me again. Then to get up to this news. What I was also thinking last night, something really weird happened. Riley our other dog started to howl during Thursday night, Friday morning and again before we got the call about the setback – normally this only happens when he hears ice-cream van or bells from church, I’m convinced he sensed his big brother was in bother, or maybe that’s just me. So once again thank you and everyone who posted their experience it gives the likes of me heart.

Amanda

Oh man I cannot even imagine what you guys have been going through this last week. I’m so glad he came around and hopefully you can get him back home and have him rest there. That’s awesome they said that he can have some sight! My Bailey went blind over a 1 1/2 to 2 year period where it slowly just kept getting dimmer and dimmer for her and when she just had a little bit of sight left after a year or so in she still got around great like she wasn’t blind at all! That gave me goose bumps when you started talking about your other dog. It truly is amazing what dogs know and there instincts that kick in! I hope the absolute best for you and your fur family and I enjoyed hearing your story and helping out. Thinking of yall!

Jean

OK, first off can I just say I totally admire every single owner of a blind doggie. I’ve thought of you all over the last 48hrs as we got a choice to take our wee man home last Friday or today, needless to say my hubby went on Friday. What they didn’t tell us was that our munchkin might not know us, which is the case, but funny enough he goes to the back door and stand to get out for a pee (hope you are not reading this at mealtime!). As he always did. The things that pleased dog owners 😂 our other dog is walking along beside him, but then he gets fed up walking up and down the hall, round the kitchen and after a while of this he leaves him and jumps up to look out the window 🙄 Having said all this, Shadow isint blind but seems to be deaf, or maybe it’s because he’s a male dog, like some males I know he has selective hearing – lol. He’s not very steady on his legs and when he falls over his brother stands and looks at him as if to say “what the hell are you doin” so because our dog is not blind I suppose I really shouldn’t be taking up your time and space on this site, but from the bottom of my heart “Thank you” for everything. Wishing you all and your fur babies a long and happy life. Jx

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.